Ole Miss STEM
The University of Mississippi has launched an aggressive initiative to increase the number of graduates in science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields, aka STEM, in the state. A chief focus of the initiative will be to increase access to STEM education through undergraduate and graduate scholarships for first-generation college students and traditionally underrepresented groups in STEM, including minorities, women and persons with disabilities.
If your student is interested in any of the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) career areas, Ole Miss has special incentives. The STEM Learning & Living Community provides a residential environment that fosters academic and social success for those STEM students. The Potential team loves all the benefits and that these students are provided, Ole Miss is investing in the success of these students:
- Weekly tutoring by upperclass majors and graduate students
- Small group meetings with faculty and distinguished visitors in STEM fields
- STEM-related field trips and tours of on-campus research facilities
- Special interest groups in STEM areas
- Career events and opportunities to closely interact with individuals working in specific STEM-related areas or professions
- Programming designed to enhance academic success (e.g., time management, study skills)
- Friendly competitions among residents (e.g., robotics , programming, trivia)
There are several Learning & Living Communities provided at Ole Miss. They include Business, Honors College, FASTrack, Provost Scholars, and Global Perspectives. These communities live in the resident housings.